4.29.2010

The day in which I have Wings


Spells
Aprilynne Pike
Harper Collins

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.


I posted about the sequel to this book, Spells, during the last Waiting on Wednesday. I got a sucky summery, but basically wings is about a girl named Laurel who finds out she's a faerie. Faeries are beautifully and differently portrayed in Wings than in any other story I've ever read. Faeries in this novel are focused more on the scientific side of things instead on the magical beings. Not that there's no magic, there's plenty but the reason why faeries are so perfect and how they are is more scientific than any other story. Which makes it unique.
AND there's a love triangle! Who doesn't love a good love triangle. There's David, total nice next-door neighbor type guy, who always helps her out. He's the "perfect" guy, a super hot science geek. Haha. He's Laurel's best friend when she moves to
And then there's Tamani :) He's super amazing (guess that team I'm on ;) ). He's a faerie like Laural while David's human. He understands her and I just love the more arrogant, playful boys. He flirts a lot with Laurel and is a pretty arrogant person, but not to the point where it's annoying. And you can tell that he cares about Laurel, A LOT.
The writing is simple, yet thrilling. I was flipping through the pages faster than Micheal Phelps swimming ;). Besides the awesomely amazing love triangle, the plot is unique in itself. It's Laurel discovering herself as a faerie, and the villains are quite unexpected! Haha. Well I totally knew from the start, but what they are....I'll stop talking now before I spoil something!
This book surprised me because there's a little story behind the buy. I was choosing between this book and Nina Malkin's Swoon. Now, what I do in situations like this is that I read the first 10 pages of each and pick the best one. Unfortunately, I picked Swoon because the first 10 pages are amazing. (I didn't like Swoon much. Not because it's a bad book, it's actually really good and the plot unique but I was mostly confused through it and kept widening my eyes at what they characters did going "Oh Geez" hehe.) I read Swoon and then I went back to the store, regretting not buying Wings since I had gotten the last copy. Then I go and there's a bunch of new WINGS on sale! I snatched it up, of course! And good thing I did, because this book is rated:
AWESOMESAUCE.
It's an amazing read! I promise :)

Happy Reading
-Harmony

p.s I think if I don't chicken out, I might ask Aprilynne Pike for a Author Interview. IF I don't chicken out *whisper* which I probably will. Hehe, but I'll try :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...