6.22.2010

The day: 2010 Debut Author Week: Wendy Delsol :)

Part two of the awesomely awesome 2010 Debut Author Week! Today I have the lovely Wendy Delsol, author of the up-coming book Stork which you'll see in stores in October! Summary:



Oh baby! A hip heroine discovers that she has the ability to decide who gets pregnant in this witty YA blend of romance and the supernatural.

Sixteen-year-old Katla has just moved from Los Angeles to the sticks of Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, she learns to her horror that she’s a member of an ancient order of women who decide to whom certain babies will be born. Add to that Wade, the arrogant football star whom Katla regrettably fooled around with, and Jack, a gorgeous farm boy who initially seems to hate her. Soon Katla is having freaky dreams about a crying infant and learns that, as children, she and Jack shared a near-fatal, possibly mystical experience. Can Katla survive this major life makeover and find a dress for the homecoming dance? Drawing from Norse mythology and inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, debut author Wendy Delsol conceives an irreverent, highly entertaining novel about embracing change and the (baby) bumps along the way.


-from amazon (SOUNDS AMAZING!)



INTERVIEW:

If you had to live in a house with 3 fictional YA characters, who would they be?

Hmmm. In the spirit of YA, I’m going to transport my sixteen-year-old self from across the chasm of time for this exercise. The young, time-traveling Wendy would love it, I’m sure; travel has always been an interest. And as I’m the fourth character in this scenario, here’s a little back story. At sixteen, I was the quintessential good girl: an all-A student, a rule follower (you’ll see ;), a joiner, funny, but kind of quiet (until you knew me). Yep, what this equation needs are some big personalities—some real characters. So, who better to invite than:
Alejandro (Alex) from PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles. As if it needs explaining, he’s a heart-of-gold bad boy who would definitely shake things up. OK, it doesn’t hurt that he’s gorgeous, either. No smoking in the house, though, Alex. Let’s call that rule #1.
Aislinn from WICKED LOVELY by Melissa Marr. I could learn a thing or two from Aislinn’s grit and tough-as-nails determination. No faeries in the house, though, Aislinn. Rule #2.
Emma from WHAT WOULD EMMA DO by Eileen Cook. Because she’s hysterical and her list writing will come in handy for groceries. No bringing home (and kissing) other people’s boyfriends, though, Emma. Rule #3.

What do you want to accomplish 10 years from now?

Having just traveled back in time, it’s a little dizzying to go forward. Nonetheless, ten years from now I hope to have a small pile of books that represent my work. I hope those books have found an audience and have taken readers on a few adventures. Speaking of adventures, ten years from now I hope to have seen more of this fascinating world of ours. Australia is up there on my wish list. I am, by nature, a wanderer. So here’s hoping for good maps, good company, and a good pair of walking shoes.

If you could say something to your younger writing self, what would you say?

Back in time again? Am I getting AAdvantage Miles? (It’ll take a few to get to Australia.) My advice to all young people is give yourself time and trust yourself to learn in your own individual way. As a young girl, I wasn’t the prototypic bookworm. In elementary school I was fidgety and distractible. My parents, to their credit, never made me feel less than my eager-reader older sister. And when in fifth and sixth grade I won creative writing awards, they praised and celebrated these small successes. I came to reading and writing on my own terms, thus it was a fun discovery. I feel incredibly lucky to have found a passion. I do hope STORK and its characters, Kat and Jack, tempt a few reluctant readers. That would make me very happy. But rule #4—no unborn souls in the house, Kat. The place is crazy enough.


Hope you guys enjoyed Wendy's interview because I loved it! Totally agree with her choices, expect Aislinn can bring Keenan into the house whenever she likes ;)


Comment! Discuss! Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...