8.03.2010

Author Interview: Heidi R. Kling

As you guys know, I absolutely LOVED Sea (the review for it is going up on Thursday!). And Heidi is sooooo nice (and efficient!) so I just had to interview her:


Summary:

Haunted by recurring nightmares since her mother’s disappearance over the
Indian ocean three years before, fifteen-year old California girl Sienna Jones
reluctantly travels with her psychiatrist father’s volunteer team to six-months
post-tsunami Indonesia where she meets the scarred and soulful orphaned boy,
Deni, who is more like Sea than anyone she has ever met.

She knows they
can’t be together, so why can’t she stay away from him? And what about her old
best friend-turned-suddenly-hot Spider who may or may not be waiting for her
back home? And why won’t her dad tell her the truth about her mother’s plane
crash? The farther she gets from home, the closer she comes to finding answers.

And Sea’s real adventure begins


A note: A lot of people seemed turned off by the touchy subject of an actual tsunami that took place in 2004. But this book isn't ONLY about the tsunami. It's more than just a story of tragedy. It's a story of hope and love and epic-awesomeness. I was iffy about picking it up too (but then Erica and Julie told me i'd be shunned if I didn't pick it up) and I LOVED it!

~~~

1. Where'd you inspiration for Sea come from? When did you decide to write about such a tragic event?

SEA was inspired by my husband's real life volunteer efforts in Indonesia after the tsunami. I wanted to write a story which would make teens and adults everywhere be able to connect to the event. It happened so far away from us, but natural and manmade tragedies happen all over the world. I think global awareness is really important.


2. Which character would you say is most like yourself?

Vera. Definitely Vera.
Kidding! I can't stand Vera. I'd go with Sienna. Hands down.

3. If you could live in a house with 3 fictional YA characters, which would they be?

OOOH boy. Um.
Hmm...Damon from The Vampire Diaries (though I haven't read the books, I'd like to assume he'd be Ian Somerhalder), the main character from 20 Boy Summer, because I think we'd get along well, and Nick from The Demon's Lexicon and sequels, because I'd like to see him and Damon RUMBLE.

4. Describe your novel in 3 words?

Hope after tragedy.

5. Has it difficult to write about such a tragic things that happened? What research did you have to do to write this?

I picked my husband's brain, and our friend, a volunteer who spent 6 months in an Indonesian orphanage. Several of the tsunami survivors themselves are my pen pals. SEA was definitely emotional to write, but I don't find "sad" necessarily "depressing" so there's a big difference there. Sea is a book about a disaster and loss and what people are doing to try and pick up the pieces and move on. Plus, there's a lot of lighthearted moments sprinkled through so readers and me (hopefully) don't feel bogged down with the tragedy.

6. Finally, Team Spider or Deni? ;)

Like Sienna, I love them both. Equally. ;)

~~~

I'm Team Deni, just saying ;)
Hope you guys enjoyed the interview, because it was great interviewing her!

Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...