3.19.2011

Confident Heroines and Why I Love Them

I tweeted about this a few weeks ago and got a pretty positive response so I decided to just go ahead and make a whole post about it!

A large percentage of book heroines are shy, flustered, not popular. Hate dancing, hate dressing up, think they're ugly. And my question is: WHY? I mean, I understand why. Heroines are someone you can relate too, and a lot of people are shy and don't think they're pretty and can't dance. BUT, on the other hand, I can assure you that isn't everyone. I love dancing, love dressing up. I'm loud and proud, and I love heroines who are like that as well!

And what surprises me even more is that some people are...annoyed by it. Some people are normally bubbly, and sometimes, it bothers me that so many heroines are hiding in shadows and talking down to themselves until that beautiful boy comes along that makes them feel beautiful! I think it's great that an author will write about that (yes, small but it's THERE) percentage of people and readers that are outgoing and party people and love doing all the things that seems foreign to characters these days.

NOW: I'm not saying it annoys me when character have moments of lack of self esteem because really? Who doesn't? What bothers me is those painstakingly shy characters that think they're not beautiful or confident or special until the boy comes along and changes her mind

Some awesome examples of confident, entertaining heroines are Evie from Paranormalcy by Kiersten White, Ellie from Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton, Emerson from Hourglass by Myra McEntire, and Clare from Clarity by Kim Harrington. These girls are fun, fantastic, and amazing characters.

Sometimes, girls with lack of confidence work in a novel. But I'd love to see some more like the ones above to spice things up a bit!

What do YOU think? And which to do you prefer?
Happy Reading!
-Harmony

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...