3.02.2012

“Anger can try to break your heart, but sorrow is what will. What can. What does.”


Title: Between Here and Forever
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Release Date: May 14th, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 250
Edition: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Cover Judge: Cute enough!
Goodreads: Link

Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.

Until the accident.

Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.

She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.

Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could...


Between Here and Forever is my first foray into Elizabeth Scott's writing, so I went in with some pretty high expectations. I've heard amazing things about Scott and while I didn't get what I was expecting, I did enjoy reading Between Here and Forever.

Abby is a kind of conflicting character for me and let me just take a moment to explain why. I know what it's like being the youngest sibling to a sister that seems to be successful in everything she does. Seriously, I do. But Abby's personality just bomb-dropped into the negative numbers because of Tessa and I really hated the fact that every time Eli tried to approach her or something, she'd be like: "Why you even talking to me? Bleh. I'm not Tessa. Bleh. Everyone hates me. I can't be loved, etc, etc". But by the end of the novel, she did become more of a realistic character for me once Clarie gives her a good talking too, especially. I just waited to smack her across the head sometimes for being so down on herself all the time. (But that might just be me, because I have a very low toleration for people who are constantly putting themselves down and saying that no one wants to be their friend.)

The plot wasn't really a big surprise to me, considering I knew all of Tessa's big secrets by the third or four chapter while it takes Abby nearly the entire novel to figure things out. But, in context, Abby does live a pretty sheltered life on this small island where they are only white people so I can imagine that Tessa's problems probably don't happen too often there and so it was some huge big surprise for her.

Eli was a really, really nice guy. Seriously, he has some mega-patience because when a girl comes up to you and says: "Your voice can wake up my comatose sister"? Your first reaction isn't usually to agree. And it wasn't his either, but he went nonetheless and that was pretty impressive. Also, the whole "being the most gorgeous thing in the universe" thing? I actually didn't mind because I imagine they don't get half-black, half-white, half-asian people walking around there everyday.

Overall, a contemporary fluff with some serious issues and a relatable voice.
Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...