5.21.2012

"Emma, you threw my sister through hurricane-proof glass.”


Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Release Date: May 22nd, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 324
Edition: Hardcover
Cover Judge: I don't have any particular feelings towards it but I like the font. 
Quote Choice: As you will see, THIS SCENE AFFECTED ME.
Source: For Review
Goodreads: Link

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.


So yesterday I talked about a mermaid book I loved and today I'm going to talk about a mermaid book I...well, didn't love. You guys know how it does; list time!

1. Characters. Characters. Characters. It's such an important thing for me so when I don't like the characters, a book is mostly ruined for me. And I didn't like the characters in Of Poseidon at all. Emma frustrated me so much. Galen would tell her not to go into the water because something was trying to kill her and she's like: He can't tell me what to do; i'm going in anyway. I understand being your own person and not listening to what other people say but dude. Someone was trying to kill you. Plus, once they became like a couple, serious problems.

2. Galen. Oh, Galen. I know, you tried, you really did. And I wanted to like you! But if I had to hear your BS about how "everyone should listen to you because you're prince of the ocean", i'm going to pull my hair out. Guys, he was so overprotective you don't even understand. I think it's sweet when a guy will go to great lengths to keep his girl safe but for the sake of example, let's mention something that happened in the book that isn't very spoilery: Emma goes on a date with some other guy, right? Galen sends her DOZENS of texts and calls and she doesn't answer because dude, she's on a date. So he goes after her (she's an hour away, guys) and demands she come back with him. And threatens the guy she's on a date with because the guy is saying he can't boss her around like that. That's right, Galen! You can't do that! That's for stalkers and super creepy and scary!

3. I really wanted some more world-building with this book but we don't get much of a look into the two kingdoms or anything like that. All we know is that there are two kingdoms and Galen's brother is the King and everything is in chaos because the second kingdom doesn't have an heir. The idea itself was interesting but I really wanted to see it more fleshed out. Maybe book two? Who knows.

4. Can we talk. About how much. I don't like Galen's sister? Rayna was such a, pardon my french, bitch. I really couldn't find anything redeeming about her at all and when Emma threw glass, I was cheering her on (well, not really, because in that scene I was mostly like WHAT IS GOING ON?) She was an awful person to Toraf and then got mad when he started pulling away from her and I just don't understand why she was so awful. I mean, guys, she said so many downright evil things to Emma and treated Toraf like some toy and just...gah. I understand where Banks was trying to make her into this really feisty, blunt heroine but I just could not bring myself to like her.

5. On the bright side, I warmed up to Toraf as the novel progressed (I wasn't cool with the whole non-consent thing with Rayna, but he was funny). And can we please write a story about Rachel? Rachel has this awesome interesting past that's mentioned in the book and it sounds amazing! Plus she's hilarious!

Good Reviews:
Katie's Book Blog
Between The Pages

Happy Reading!

MY THOUGHTS ON AN E-CARD:

someecards.com - Wise Words From Galen: Never break up a cat-fight. Ever.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...