7.28.2012

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailor, take warning."

Title: Underworld (Abandon #2)
Author: Meg Cabot
Release Date: May 8th, 2012
Publisher: Point (Scholastic)
Pages: 318
Edition: Hardcover
Cover Judge: I like the blue but I still like the first cover more!
Quote Choice: I enjoy creepy prophecy-ish things.
Source: For Review
Goodreads: Link

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn’t dead.
Not this time.
But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.
Her captor, John Hayden, claims it’s for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they’ve come back as Furies, intent on vengeance…on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.
But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there…and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.
And unless Pierce is careful, this time there’ll be no escape.

DESCRIBE THIS BOOK IN SIX WORDS: UNDERWORLD PEOPLE NEEDING TO COMMUNICATE MORE.

Now, I'll be honest: I wasn't really excited to read Underworld. I liked Abandon well enough but if Underworld hadn't showed up on my doorstep unexpectedly, I wouldn't have picked it up myself. BUT for some reason, when it did arrive, I put everything down and immediately dived into it. The power of Meg Cabot? I think so too.

First of all, can we talk about John like...lost his brain or something in this book? One of my big complaints with Abandon was that we hardly got to see John and dude: he's Hades. I want to see him! And we did see him! But he and Pierce have so many misunderstandings and he'd be like: "don't do this!" and "oh? you didn't know? thought you knew!" and I wanted to just sit them down in a closet, lock the door, and have them talk things out. I mean, there were SO MANY things that Pierce did that could have been avoided if John would stop being so vague and elusive with her! Sure, he's charming, but I grew quite sick of him just not being upfront with Pierce.

For the first half of the novel, I was quite confused by Pierce. Considering Underworld starts out TWELVE HOURS after Abandon, she felt like a totally different person. She felt...I don't want to say comfortable but i'm going to use the word, in the Underworld when she should've been...I don't know, freaking out? But she picked up her act around the middle of the book and I do have to admire her determination to get herself into bad situations for the people she loves.

But if it's one thing I loved about book: the plot! And the side-characters! As with Abandon, the plot is spot-on in terms of keeping me gripped enough to read this in one sitting. The Furies are some crazy individuals but I don't want to reveal too much about the plot but just know: Underworld is way more action-friendly than Abandon is! As for side-characters, loved them (with the exception of Alex who I wanted to punch in the face. "You don't know what i'm going through!" Shut up Alex, she's in the UNDERWORLD.) All of John's...mates in the Underworld were charming and funny and Kayla! I was really happy to see Kayla!

In the end? I enjoy reading the books but I don't love the series. But it seems that as usual, I'll be reading the third book the minute I get my hands on it.

Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...